Stews are our winter staples. You can pop them on in the morning and arrive home to dinner ready to go, knowing that you are feeding your family a delicious meal containing quality proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
Hearty Beef Bone Broth Stew (serves 4)
- 1 kg top steak, diced
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour of your choice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 cups Mitchells Bone Broth (6 teaspoon of Mitchell's Bone Broth Powder mixed into 3 cups of hot water)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 Medium potatoes, peeled and cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large pan oven over medium heat. Season steak with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add steak to the slow cooker when evenly browned.
- Add onion, carrots and celery. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add to cooker.
- Add garlic and mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned, about 3-4 minutes, add to slow cooker.
- Season with mix herbs, smoked paprika and chilli flakes (or your choice of herbs.)
- Whisk in flour and tomato paste to thicken.
- Stir in wine, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in beef bone broth, thyme, bay leaves and steak.
- Set slow cooker on high and bring to a boil reduce heat and simmer.
- Stir in potato; simmer until potatoes are just tender and stew has thickened.
- Slow cook on low for 2 to 3 hours.
- Remove and discard thyme sprigs and bay leaves. Stir in parsley, season with salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- We recommend serving with a slice of crusty bread and butter. Enjoy!